Beautiful, Broken Things

January 05, 2017


Author: Sara Barnard

Genre: UKYA, Mental Health, Contemporary

Blurb: Caddy and Rosie have always been inseparable. But that was before Suzanne.

Now Caddy wants to be more than just the quiet one. She wants something to happen.
I was brave.

Suzanne is trying to escape her past and be someone different. Someone free.
She was reckless.

But sometimes downward spirals have a momentum of their own.
We were trouble.

And no one can break your heart like a best friend.

Intermission: You see that blurb? You see it? There's no romance in this story. NO ROMANCE! 

At the beginning of this book, Caddy was pretty much a sucker (soz Caddy). I had to say it.

Also, Caddy seemed a little boring at the beginning. As an introvert who's also very shy, I was very aware of the fact that people probably think I'm Caddy. Of course, I could also relate to her when she was awkward with Suzanne at first.

"No," I said awkwardly. "I'm just coming for the pizza."
"Oh." She looked confused. Obviously the idea that someone wouldn't jump at the chance to go to a party full of strangers was alien to her. We were clearly never going to be friends."

I know the feeling, Caddy!

But despite all odds, Caddy and Suzanne eventually grew closer. *gasp* Who would've known?

Unfortunately, Suzanne was trouble. She was a very bad influence on Caddy. Even Rosie, who introduced Suzanne to Caddy, stood her ground whenever Suzanne acted... off. But Caddy, being stupid, acted defensive whenever her parents or Rosie would warn her about Suzanne even though (she never had a habit of getting drunk at parties or smoked cigarettes or weed in order to 'become more interesting' *rolls eyes* or snuck out of her house at night regularly before meeting Suzanne).

You see, the funny thing is that (Caddy never seemed to fully accept that she did something very wrong. Even Suzanne developed some sense near the end of the book. SUZANNE FOR PETE'S SAKE!)

Also, I didn't feel bad when she smoked weed and suffered.


"It's exactly like breathing in smoke," I said, my voice hoarse. "Why would anyone do that for fun?"

What did you think it would taste like, CHOCOLATE?!

                                   

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this book. Not very much, but I did. It was based on complex female friendships which we definitely need more in the YA genre. The writing was simple but beautiful at times. The book dealt with difficult issues. But if I purchase it later on, don't ask me how I can stand Caddy because really, I cannot.

Recommendation: For those looking for YA stories without romance



3 and a half stars out of five



You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. This sounds really good! And also FINALLY NO ROMANCE THANK YOU SO MUCH WORLD. It's like YA authors don't get that life isn't just falling in love? Honestly. Is that gif of Jordan from Blimey Cow a few years ago? Because it's quite funny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Most of us are single for pete's sake!

      Yup, it is xD

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. The cover is so pretty! But it doesn't sound like my type of book (although the no romance does have some appeal). How does it fall under mental health, btw?


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's so pretty but Caddy... *rolls eyes*

      I understand you completely.

      Let's say Suzanne didn't have the best Mental Health... she was a bit scarred from her childhood.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this book but I had so many problems with it. Like you said, what the heck Caddy you moron? I like how Rosie and Suzanne kinda grew brains by the end but I hated how Caddy just had her brain turn to ooze and dribble out her ears like she was in a Doctor Who episode. She didn't even see the error of her ways? Like why does she have to change herself so much in order to be liked by other people (and changes in bad ways, like smoking weed and sneaking out and stuff). I hate how introverts/shy and quiet people often have character arcs that make them more "bad boy" and extroverted, like excuse me dude my personality type is not a character flaw. I kept waiting for the scene where Caddy goes "whoa man I probably shouldn't be doing this stuff because Suzanne wants me to because Suzanne has serious issues" but that scene never came. Anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book cover looks really like "I'll Give you the Sun" cover. Almost as if it's the negative like a photograph before it develops. Kinda cool!
    It's interesting to see how relationships develop over time. I'm not sure if this is "my" type of book. I my get very angry at Caddy and throw it out the window.... or I may very well enjoy it. I guess the only way to find out is to read it!
    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does!

      Yeah, she was so annoying. #whycaddywhy?!

      Yup, you might like it.

      Thank you! <3

      Delete
  5. ooo this book looks so interesting.. i'm gonna have to slap it on my tbr :)

    ~ noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it's really is :)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Keep it all clean, man. Well, if you really wanna curse, use minor swear words. And I mean the minorest of minor ones.

"Or what?" you ask in indignation.

"Or else."