What the Fudge Happened Here?: Mini Reseñas

July 08, 2017

It's been a while since I've done this... yet I bring super old reviews that I should have posted last year or some months ago.




Finding Audrey - Sophie Kinsella

source

Genre: UKYA, Mental Health, Romance

Blurb: An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen year old Audrey's daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother's gaming teammate, she is energised. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she's never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family. (Goodreads)

The first line starts with "OMG." Tut tut tut.

Audrey often has sessions with Dr Sarah, her therapist, who gently reminds Audrey that she can only improve gradually.

Audrey and Linus' relationship isn't perfect. It seems like a normal relationship but it makes me cringe. I don't see much point in it. She just liked the first good looking guy she saw come inside her house. Also this,

"Hey , Orange Slice." I touch hands and we brush mouths together. 
Brush mouths. The cringe is very real.

Content: Swearing (In English, Korean, Russian), Kissing
3 stars our of five


Heartless - Marissa Meyer

source

Genre: Fairy tale retelling, Fantasy, YA

Blurb: Long before Alice fell down the rabbit hole...

And before roses were painted red...

The Queen of Hearts was just a girl, in love for the first.

The first thing I must mention is the description of the lemon tarts at the beginning was absolutely tantalising. 

I was very surprised with how this retelling turned out, offering very credible explanations to explain the randomness of Alice in Wonderland.

Overall, an interesting read.

Content: Kissing, Violence

3 stars out of five

The Unexpected Everything - Marissa Meyer

source


Genre: YA, Romance, Contemporary, Family

Blurb: Before the scandal, Andie had important plans. And zero of them involved walking an insane amount of dogs, being in the same house as her dad or hanging out with Clark. Now there's a whole summer stretching out in front of Andie without a plan. And Andie always sticks to the plan.

But here's the thing - if everything's always mapped out, you can never find the unexpected. And where's the fun in that?


I'm going to admit this: while I was reading the first 100 pages I was determined on giving this book 2 or 2.5 stars.

Number one - The beginning is pretty boring. The writing is good but Andie seemed like a very boring person. Honestly, I don't know what she even does with her life when her friends are not around. What are her hobbies? And I know all that stuff about her dad being congressman is necessary for the story but I didn't care for it.

Number two - Her heart breaking ways. She would only be interested in kissing a guy once they were in a relationship. I didn't mind that. However, I felt that she did not explain that clearly with her exes because she would just break up with them whenever they wanted a more meaningful relationship.

I was kinda upset that things only got particularly interesting near the end. 

Content: Kissing, Sexual references

3 stars out of five

All my reviews can be found on Goodreads.





You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I really liked The Lunar Chronicles, but when Heartless came out last year it got a lot of bad reviews, so I haven't picked it up yet. The first few chapters came in the back of my copy of Winter, though and the Lemon TArT wAs SOOOO tantalising. I'm feeling hungry just thinking about it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon tarts are very delicious haha. Grace, I just wanted to tell you that you're really good at describing the content of and your reaction to a book with very few words. It makes reading these reviews lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanna try one! :O

      Really? I think I should try harder, xD

      Delete

Keep it all clean, man. Well, if you really wanna curse, use minor swear words. And I mean the minorest of minor ones.

"Or what?" you ask in indignation.

"Or else."